University Pathways

How top-up degrees work

All of the academic courses offered by SCIBN are Ofqual approved, and universities will generally accept the credits awarded to students. Students should make it clear to the University that the qualification is OFQUAL RQF validated at the stated level/credit value.
Graduating SCIBN students can progress onto a University programme either to join at Undergraduate entry level, usually on completion of a Level 3 programme, or onto a “top-up” Degree, depending on the level of their completed Ofqual programme. These level equivalencies can be viewed on our ‘Study Levels Explained‘ page. Generally, Level 3 is Undergraduate entry, Level 4 first year Degree, Level 5 second year Degree, Level 6 Graduate level and Level 7 Post Graduate level.
University Top-up courses require you to have a qualification in a relevant subject. Your chosen course should be closely tied to your previous qualification. However, it does not have to be the same subject. In many cases, if you have studied your level 3/4/5/6 or 7 qualifications in English, an IELTS may not be required. There is a wide range of flexibility, allowing our students to have a plethora of career or completion prospects upon graduation from SCIBN courses. Universities will generally look at your broader experiences and motivations as well as formal qualifications.

Progression options

On completion of an SCIBN course, students have the following options available to them

  • Study FULL TIME or PART TIME on campus in the UK for top-up courses or direct entry to university
  • Do I need any previous experience and qualifications?
  • Study with UK Universities BASED OVERSEAS

    Some UK Universities operate overseas Campuses and may accept local students on their programmes with advanced entry. For example, UK Universities have campuses in Dubai, Mauritius, Sri Lanka, Hong Kong, amongst many others.


    Students may want to study at Institutions nearer their home country or qualifications outside of UK. For example many Australian and Canadian Universities offer distance learning and will recognise equivalent UK qualifications on a case by case basis. USA Universities will generally accept UK advanced entry students and equivalence but there is a huge difference between regions and Universities with general policy.

If you require more information regarding specific progression routes, these are available on each course page under ‘university progression’, alternatively you can contact the SCIBN Support team on for further advice and guidance.